Nutrition for Mom and Baby
Eating a well-balanced diet rich in protein is one of the most important things a woman can do to ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby. Expectant mothers must eat the proper amounts of foods from each group each day in order to get the necessary nutrition for the mother and the baby.
Here’s an example that you and your doctor may determine works well for you:
- Dairy (milk, yogurt and cheese group): three cups a day
- Vegetable: three cups a day
- Meat: 6 ½ ounces a day – select lean protein
- Grains (bread, cereal, rice and pasta group): eight ounces a day – half should be from whole grains
- Fruit: two cups a day
- Fats, oils and sweets: use sparingly
- Water: at least eight glasses of water each day
- Exercise: Walking and swimming are excellent forms of exercise for pregnant women. Exercising 20 minutes each day will promote optimal health. Exercising for 30 minutes three times a week is the minimum exercise required to maintain your health. Consult your doctor or midwife about the advisability of other forms of exercise.
To find a food plan specific to your individual needs, visit www.ChooseMyPlate/pregnancy-breastfeeding.html