Frequently Asked Questions
HOW THE COLLABORATION OF BAPTIST HEALTH CARE AND MAYO CLINIC AFFECTS YOUR CARE
- Q: What is the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
- A: The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a unique collaboration that connects Baptist Health Care physicians with Mayo Clinic specialists and resources. Baptist Health Care physicians will use electronic communication tools to access the latest Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise.
- Q: Why has Baptist decided to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: Baptist Health Care recognizes that if we are to achieve our vision of being a recognized leader in quality and the patient experience, we have a responsibility to take the lead in fundamentally transforming health care in our region. In support of this, we are committed to seeking new ways to:
- Collaborate with quality care providers to create greater alignment around improved quality and patient experience
- Jointly work with providers to develop clinical guidelines to ensure the highest quality of care for patients who need to be transferred to different levels of care
- Ensure that care is always delivered in the best quality and most cost-advantageous clinical setting as close to the patient’s home as possible
- Q: What does this formal collaboration mean for patients?
A: Baptist Health Care physicians will have access to the latest Mayo Clinic expertise to use when treating our patients. These resources include:
- AskMayoExpert, a state-of-the-art online medical reference tool created by Mayo Clinic. It offers Mayo-vetted knowledge in disease management, clinical care guidelines, treatment recommendations and educational materials available to physicians at the point of care.
- eConsults that serve to connect Baptist Health Care physicians with Mayo Clinic experts when our physicians want additional input regarding a patient’s care.
- Q: Will I see a Mayo Clinic doctor?
- A: Not exactly. Your physician will have the opportunity to connect with specialists at Mayo Clinic and they will work together to ensure that you benefit from access to the latest medical expertise close to home.
- Q: Does this mean I’ll never need to go to Mayo Clinic?
- A: By sharing medical expertise through the Mayo Clinic Care Network, the goal is that you will stay closer to home for your care whenever possible. In some situations, you may still need to travel for specialty care that isn’t available in your area.
- Q: What does it cost me if my doctor consults with Mayo Clinic about my care?
- A: There is no cost to you when your health care provider uses the Mayo Clinic Care Network resources.
- Q: Are patient medical records safe when using these tools?
- A: Yes. Patient privacy is a priority, and we have safeguards in place to protect your health information. Anything shared with Mayo Clinic related to patient care is sent through a secure electronic connection and remains confidential.
- Q: Does this agreement mean patients will be referred to Mayo Clinic?
- A: This collaboration is about enhanced patient care right here at home. The primary goal of Baptist Health Care as a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network is to help patients gain the benefits of Mayo Clinic expertise so they can continue receiving care as close to home as possible, ensuring travel outside the region for care only when necessary.
- Q: Why did Mayo Clinic choose Baptist Health Care for participation in the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
- A: Baptist Health Care was selected to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network because we share a common philosophy, commitment and mission to improve the delivery of health care through high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care and treatment. In addition, we passed Mayo Clinic’s rigorous review process based on quality, service and operational criteria.
- Q: Does this collaboration mean that Baptist Health Care could be purchased by Mayo Clinic?
- A: This agreement is not an acquisition or merger. Mayo Clinic Care Network members like Baptist Health Care remain independent and community-owned health care providers.
- Q: Why did Mayo Clinic create the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
- A: Collaborating with other medical providers to provide the best possible care for patients has always been part of Mayo Clinic’s culture. The Mayo Clinic Care Network is intended to help Mayo and community care organizations work closer together – in new ways – to enhance the lives of patients.
- Q: Who do I contact for more information?
- A: For more general information, call 850.434.4080. For a Baptist Medical Group physician, call 850.437.8600.