Two Dedicated NeurologistsGulf Coast Healthy Living Magazine Volume 4, Issue 3 - Baptist Medical Group
When you or a loved one is facing a battle with cancer, you want an oncologist who is deeply entrenched in the rapidly expanding world of cancer research. David E. Mann, M.D., became interested in biomedical research after completing a master’s degree in chemical engineering and was especially drawn to the fast-pace of oncology research. It was clear there were tremendous advances being made to help cancer patients fight the disease, and he saw an opportunity to make a significant impact by giving patients hope for recovery and a quality life in the future. From the world of chemical engineering, a dedicated oncologist was born.
Dr. Mann embraced the opportunity to work with Baptist Medical Group – Oncology, where he found a unique approach to treatment and follow-up care revolving around a survivorship plan. This plan not only addresses treatment, but also incorporates lifestyle changes such as exercise and improved nutrition – allowing each patient to become an active participant in his or her treatment and recovery.
Meet Dr. Mann
- What about your work do you find most rewarding and why?
- The most rewarding part is being able to serve each patient and to help each patient persevere through their journey; and perhaps even to help each patient be strengthened by their experience.
- What is something about you that only your patients would know?
- I avoid taking any personal credit for positive outcomes. Every good gift is from above.
- How would a patient describe you?
- I strive to emulate the qualities others have taught me – to be a person of faith, compassion, self-control and patience, humility and brotherly kindness, in both deed and truth.
- What’s your proudest moment as a doctor?
- The moment I was able to take my pride out of the equation.
- In your opinion, what’s the most important factor in a doctor-patient relationship?
- An understanding that the doctor is a servant to the patient, and hopefully that relationship will lead to an open and honest discussion centering on how to achieve each patient’s individual goals and expectations.
- What can a patient expect when they have you as a doctor?
- That I will work with you to explore all possible options regarding treatment, give you the time to understand and consider these options and, ultimately, devise a treatment strategy that best suits you. Just as importantly, I’ll be willing to make any changes quickly along the way, if needed.