Forensic Services Program/Law Enforcement Training
Lakeview Center's Forensic Services Program is a practical solution to a pressing problem.
It’s estimated that 20 percent of the nation’s prison population has a serious mental illness, and nearly three-quarters of inmates with mental illness also have a substance abuse disorder.
Our Program’s Services Include:
- Providing a 40-hour Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) course to law enforcement officers in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties about mental illnesses, community resources and practical techniques for de-escalating crisis situations.
- Coordinating with jail staff to minimize disruption to treatment for current clients and to facilitate access to treatment for new clients
- Working with courts to secure conditional releases for non-violent offenders so that they may receive treatment
- Providing oversight and treatment within the community for clients whose felony cases resulted in findings of "not guilty by reason of insanity” or “incompetent to proceed.”
- Working to restore competency for clients with felonies who do not require incarceration or admission to a Florida state hospital
More than 600 officers have graduated from CIT and earned the Eagle pin which they wear while on-duty. They are trained to recognize when someone has a mental disorder and respond more effectively during an encounter.
The Lakeview Center Forensic Program works closely with all law enforcement agencies, the courts and the corrections system. The goal is to divert people with mental illness from unnecessary incarceration to effective treatment and case management. Partnering with other community agencies, the program directs its clients to the resources they need to rebuild their lives. Ultimately these efforts will help to:
- Improve public safety
- Reduce recidivism
- Minimize wasteful spending
- Reverse the criminalization of mental illness
- All people with mental illnesses to work toward recovery within the community
- Improve the overall well-being of the entire community
To learn more call 850.432.1222.